- The AARC website is managed by the Department of Defence on the Department of Finance GovCMS platform.
The AARC website is presented by the Department of Defence for the purpose of disseminating information for the benefit of the public.
Legal protection for Information Publication Scheme (IPS) publication
The Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Cth) (FOI Act) provides legal protection where information has been published in good faith in the belief that publication was either required or permitted under the IPS (ss 90 and 92). The protection applies to the Commonwealth, a Minister, an Agency or an officer of an Agency. The scope of the protection is that no action lies for defamation, breach of confidence or infringement of copyright or (as to Ministers and Agency officers) for criminal liability.
These protections complement the policy objective of the FOI Act of providing a secure framework for publication of Australian Government information to the public. The protections are conditional, and apply only where a Minister or Agency officer publishes a document in good faith in the belief that the publication was required or permitted under the FOI Act.
The legal protection provided by ss 90 and 92 applies also to the release of information in response to an FOI request, and to publication apart from the FOI Act where a Minister or Agency officer believes in good faith that publication is required or permitted.
Links to external websites
The AARC website contains links to other websites that are external to the Department of Defence (Defence). Defence takes reasonable care in linking websites but has no direct control over the content of the linked sites, or the changes that may occur to the content on those sites. It is the responsibility of the user to make their own decisions about the accuracy, currency, reliability and correctness of information contained in linked external websites.
Links to external websites do not constitute an endorsement or a recommendation of any material on those sites or of any third party products or services offered by, from or through those sites. Users of links provided by the AARC website are responsible for being aware of which organisation is hosting the website they visit.
You agree to use the AARC website only for lawful purposes, and in accordance with all applicable laws, rules and regulations.
You agree that You will not use, nor allow any third party to use, the AARC website:
- for any purpose that is unlawful, defamatory, harassing, abusive, fraudulent, obscene or offensive or in any other inappropriate way;
- in any manner that infringes the rights of, causes distress or inconvenience to, or restricts or inhibits the use and enjoyment of, the AARC website by any third party, or which causes disruption to the AARC website.
Your use of the AARC website does not:
- affect or reduce any obligation owed to You by any Agency;
- reduce any obligation You owe to any Agency.
The Department of Defence:
- reviews the information available on the AARC website and updates the information as required;
- may refuse to publish or remove from the AARC website any comments which are, in its opinion, unlawful, defamatory, harassing, abusive, fraudulent, obscene or offensive or in any other way inappropriate;
- reserves the right to refuse or terminate service to any person at any time without notice or reason;
- takes no responsibility for the accuracy, reliability, currency or completeness of any material contained on the AARC website or on any linked site;
- recommends that users exercise their own skill and care with respect to their use of the AARC website and that users carefully evaluate the accuracy, currency, completeness and relevance of the material that they publish on the AARC website.
The AARC website is not a substitute for independent professional advice and users should obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances.
With the exception of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms and where otherwise noted, material presented on the AARC website is provided under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia licence.
The development and management of the AARC website is coordinated by the Department of Finance, which is responsible for the security of information while it is collected by, stored on or passing through the system.
We strive to protect comments and information You provide on the AARC website. We will use all reasonable endeavours to ensure that Your comments and information are not compromised. However, we cannot guarantee that no Harmful Code will enter the AARC website. You should be aware of the risks associated with using websites.
We recommend that You use appropriate and up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software to protect Your computer systems from which You are accessing the AARC website.
The materials displayed on the AARC website, including without limitation all editorial materials, information, photographs, illustrations, artwork and other graphic materials, and names, logos and trade marks, are the property of the Commonwealth of Australia and are protected by copyright, trade mark and other intellectual property laws. Any such content may be displayed and printed solely for Your personal, non-commercial use within your organisation provided that any copyright notice on such a display or page is not removed. You agree not to reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate any such material to any third party without the express prior written consent of the Department of Defence.
Save for the above, and unless expressly granted, the Department of Defence does not grant any licence or right in, or assign all or part of, its intellectual property rights in the content or applications incorporated into the AARC website or in its user interface.
The Department of Defence makes no warranty that:
- the content of the AARC website or any information uploaded to it is accurate, complete and up‑to‑date;
- access to the AARC website will be uninterrupted and error-free;
- the AARC website is free from viruses or anything else which may damage any computer or system which accesses the AARC website or any data on such computer or system.
Limitation of liability
To the maximum extent permitted by law the Department of Defence excludes all liability for loss or damage of any kind (including special, indirect or consequential loss and including loss of business profits) arising out of or in connection with the content, use or performance of the AARC website.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Department of Defence, its employees and agents from and against any and all demands, loss, liability, claims or expenses (including legal fees) made by any third party due to or arising out of or in connection with Your use of the AARC website.
We may revise these Terms and Conditions from time to time.
Please contact us if You have any questions, problems or feedback regarding our site.
- Harmful Code – Any form of harmful surreptitious code or other contaminants, including viruses, bugs, trojan horses, spyware or adware.
- You and Your means the user of the AARC website.
- Our, Us and We means the Commonwealth of Australia represented by the Department of Defence.